The Ontario Hockey League is pleased to announce the opportunity for a Manager of Communications. The successful candidate will be a key member of the communications department which will contribute to the League and Member Teams’ communication strategy. This role will be based out of our League office located at 305 Milner Ave., Scarborough, Ontario.
JOB TITLE: Manager, Communications
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Development & Director, Communications
- Assist with both written and visual content creation and general maintenance of ontariohockeyleague.com.
- Dedicated to raising the online profile of OHL member teams, partners and programs including but not limited to the OHL Alumni Association, CMHA Talk Today Program, OHL Onside Program and Performance Development League.
- Contribute to the maintenance and elevation of OHL Social Media Accounts including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and explore the potential for new opportunities both in terms of platform and presentation.
- Manage the weekly production of the OHL E-Newsletter.
- Provide post-event reports and analyze performance metrics for web and social media content.
- Assist the Director, Communications, with the organization of the media accreditation process and completed applications for both the regular season and OHL Playoffs.
- Assist the Director, Communications in creating a communication calendar outline for all events throughout the season.
- Provide on-site assistance with the execution of annual events such as the OHL Cup Presented by Under Armour, the OHL Priority Selection, the OHL Conference Finals and the Rogers OHL Championship Series, all of which require some travel and weekend responsibilities between March and late May.
- Assist with internal communications initiatives such as OHL morning press clippings.
- Research, compile, and maintain records and various OHL alumni lists.
- Assemble and organize assets and information for Hockey Canada and IIHF events as well as the NHL Draft.
- Assist with national broadcast partner requests and the circulation of assets.
- Assist with special projects and administrative duties as required.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree in marketing, communications, sports management or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Have 2-3 years of experience in the sports industry, preferably in the areas of communications, journalism, marketing or event promotions.
- Must be well organized and demonstrate an ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision.
- Excellent computer and mobile skills, including Microsoft Office and social media applications are essential.
- Some familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are also considered valuable assets.
- A skill set that includes strong leadership, organizational, problem solving, writing and communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Availability to work flexible, but unconventional hours, particularly in reference to some evenings and weekends throughout the hockey season.
- The candidate may be required to travel and must have access to a car and a valid driver’s license.
- The successful applicant must present a police check record.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter, resume and salary expectations by no later than October 15th, 2019 at 5:00 PM ET via email to OHL Vice-President, Development Joe Birch at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.