Links: Box Score
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack Warriors took a 5-1 loss at the hands of the nation’s No. 2/3 team, the Northeastern Huskies on Friday night, despite the stellar 47 save effort by freshman goaltender Emma Gorski against one of the nation’s best.
Score: Merrimack 1, Northeastern 5
Records: Merrimack (4-21-4, 1-17-4 HEAW) | Northeastern (25-3-1, 21-2-0 HEAW)
Location: Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- Northeastern struck in the five minutes left in the period, taking the lead in a period that saw Gorski make 17 saves.
- The visitors struck for four goals in the second period, with one on the power play to stretch open their lead.
- Merrimack got on the board as Mikyla Grant-Mentis scored shorthanded for her 19th goal of the season. She handled a pass from along the boards from Kate Bukolska, taking the open space in the slot before firing high and in on Northeastern’s Philips.
Notes & Numbers
- With her shorthanded goal, Grant-Mentis is now tied for the program record for career points with 113, tying Katelyn Rae ’19. The senior center has 55 goals and 58 assists in 132 games.
- Goaltenders: Emma Gorski (47 saves, 1-6-0) // Gwyneth Philips (17 saves, 4-0-0)
- Power Plays: 0-2 | 1-6
- Shots on Goal: 6-17 // 9-18 // 3-17– 18-52
- Faceoffs: 26 // 28
- Blocks: 20 // 5
Merrimack will welcoming in the UNH Wildcats and the Bertagna Trophy Tour on Saturday, Feb. 8 at 2 p.m.
For continuing coverage of Merrimack College Athletics, visit MerrimackAthletics.com and follow the Warriors on Twitter, Instagram and on Facebook.