Links: Box Score
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass.– In a gritty back-and-forth contest, the Merrimack College women’s ice hockey team came up short against the No. 8 Boston College Eagles at home on Saturday.
Score: Merrimack 1, Boston College 3
Records: Merrimack (1-5-0, 1-5-0 HE) | Boston College (7-3-0, 7-3-0 HE)
Location: Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- Merrimack looked to have gotten on the board midway through the first on a 5-on-3, where Courtney Maud deflected it in front, but was called off for a play with a high stick to keep the game scoreless.
- Boston College took the lead in the final minute of the first, where on a rush up the ice the Eagles’ Cayla Barnes took the shot as she cut through the nearside dot.
- In the second, BC’s Olivia Finocchiaro fired in a shot off of a pass from her linemate crashing in on goal to give the Eagles a 2-0 lead.
- BC tacked on a third late in the middle period, as Jillian Fey picked up a loose puck in the neutral zone and flipped it in for the goal.
- The Warriors got on the board in the final five after a long stretch in the offensive zone. Katie Kaufman picked up the puck in the corner and managed a clean pass against defensive pressure to rookie defender Grace Karunakar at the blueline. She fired a hard shot, which was tipped down by Courtney Maud screening in front for her first of the year.
Notes & Numbers
- Sophomore netminder Emma Gorski stood firm for 29 saves on the afternoon in her sixth straight start.
- Katie Kaufman‘s assist on Merrimack’s lone goal finishes a three-point weekend (1 G, 2 A) for the sophomore forward.
- Goaltenders: Emma Gorski (29 saves, 1-5-0) | Kelly Pickreign (18 saves, 2-1-0)
- Power Plays: MC 0-6 | BC 0-5
- Shots on Goal: MC 4, BC 11 | MC 7, BC 11 | MC 8, BC 10 | MC 19, BC 32
- Faceoffs: 22 MC | 26 BC
- Blocks: 7 MC | 11 BC
The Warriors will return to Hockey East competition next weekend with a home-and-home series.
For continuing coverage of Merrimack College Athletics, visit MerrimackAthletics.com and follow the Warriors on Twitter, Instagram and on Facebook.